One of the few bright sides to this pandemic is the surge in the amount of project releases by African artists. Since we have had to stay at home and practice social distancing; the ban on large gatherings also means that concerts and shows can not hold like they normally would, this has led to artists improvising with online concerts and putting out a lot of projects to satisfy the demand for music which is seemingly at an all time high.
These are the top albums added to the Spotify Editorial Playlist in the last 7 days.
1. A.M.N (Any Minute Now) by Cassper Nyovest: Released just 2 days ago, It’s fair to say that Cassper did not disappoint with this project. He calls A.M.N his “best project to date” and called on fans to “question, love and protect” the album. (Album tracks added to 6 playlists)
2. QueenPin by Silverstone Barz: Tanzanian hip-hop artist Silverstone Barz also known as “punchline queen” released her mixtape titled “QueenPin” clearly coined from the word ‘Kingpin’ The 11 tracks mixtape only had 3 features. (Album tracks added to 3 playlist)
3. Xoya Woya Wam by Nomcebo Zikode: South African songstress followed her usual pattern where she sings about love, hope and the gospel in her 9 tracks solo album. The album features artist and producer: Master KG. (Album tracks added to 3 playlists)
4. Midnight train by Sauti Sol: Sauti Sol are probably the most prolific music group in Africa. They released Midnight train in June 2020, their first album since signing with Universal music Africa earlier this year. (Album tracks added to 2 playlists)
5. I am Zuchu by Zuchu: This fresh Tanzanian artist is new to the mainstream scene, she only arrived this year with her single “Wana” but the 30 year old has not slowed down since. Her 7 tracks EP titled “I am Zuchu” was released in June. (Album tracks added to 2 playlists)
6.Twice as Tall by Burna Boy: This album is possibly the most successful African album in 2020. Executive produced by Sean Diddy Combs, the 15 tracks Afrofusion masterpiece debuted at No.1 on the Billboard World albums chart. (Album tracks added to 2 playlists)
7. Afropop Vol1: Adekunle Gold also known as AG has been putting out hits for almost 5 years now, but this Album marked his first attempt and his transition into Afro pop music, away from the usual alternative sound associated with him. (Album tracks added to 2 playlists)
8. Three by Patoranking: This album is mostly reggae but Patoranking experimented with some sounds that came out really well, an example is “Black Girl Magic”, a funk song that is becoming the fans favourite. (Album tracks added to 2 playlists)
9. Late Night Kneeler by Dyana Cods: The Kenyan rapper released her debut EP to continue affirming her place as one of the best female rappers Kenya has ever seen. (Album tracks added to 2 playlists).
To listen and to also find more information about these African albums click on the next page or follow the Spotify link on top of this post